The course has been prepared by experienced Buteyko practitioners some of whom also bring the skills, experience and insights of other healing professions. It is their review of the research in the medical and scientific and medical literature.
The course includes:
- Face to face teaching over 6 days (48 hours)
- Workshop observation
- Examination of the theoretical knowledge
- Evaluation of participants practical skills and workshop presentation
PRACTITIONERS COURSE CONTENTS
Buteyko breathing as therapy
- Introduction to concepts of normal and abnormal breathing.
- Assessing and analysing breathing.
Elements of anatomy and physiology
- Overview of anatomical structure of respiratory system.
- Effects of disease on lung structure and function.
- Homeostasis and respiration.
- External respiration. Ventilation, perfusion and diffusion.
- Internal respiration. Anabolic and catabolic metabolism.
- Neural and chemical control of respiration.
- Review of modern scientific periodicals.
Mechanics of breathing
- Symptoms related to mechanical factors.
- Skeleto-muscular changes and their correction.
- Symptoms of diseases as response of the body to hyperventilation. Review of research.
- Chronic hyperventilation and metabolic changes.
- Factors perpetuating hyperventilation.
- Carbon dioxide in the body.
Factors affecting breathing and health
- Concept of clearing reaction.
- Chronic infections and breathing.
- Steroid deficiency.
- Importance of minerals.
- Diseases of respiratory system.
- Asthma, emphysema, bronchitis.
- Asthma medication.
Application of breathing to stress related disorders
- Anxiety and panic attacks.
- Stress, emotions and breathing.
- Structuring and organising Buteyko classes.
- Assessing the patients.
- Monitoring progress.
- Working with children.
Athletic training, exercise and breathing
- Physiological aspects of sport. Metabolism and gas exchange.
- Practical recommendations.
Modern trends in breathing therapy. Research and clinical trials
- Hypoxic breathing training.
- Myths and therapies related to breathing.
- Buteyko clinical trials.